Tuesday, September 23, 2014

a great return

I've been wanting to return to writing for a while now.  Not necessarily on my blog but just... writing. I've missed it and I feel like there are things I could say.

In the last annual year I finished student teaching, and college all together, transitioned my life to a new city, traveled yet again to my beloved Ecuador, and started a career in Art Education.  I've also watched  sooooooo much Netflix.

I feel the effects of growing up in a real sense.  My adult life is consistent.  I just moved in to a beautiful room with a bay window.  I ride my bike to school and back.  I use my evening time to make art and connect with people I love via phone or email.  I've been trying to take pictures of the things I see every day so that I can appreciate them and remember them when, one day, I'm in a different phase of life, and the one I'm in now will be only a memory.

Things I've seen from my bicycle seat:


Night rides with old friends when they visit. I love how much my city sleeps. 


Chesapeake Bay (Not actually from a bike ride)


Almost home. 


On the bike path. 

I've also been trying to fill my time with quality art.  Or rather, quality hand crafting.  I taught myself some needle point.  And I decided that my art can be happy and silly and still have meaning.  I feel like the art program at BYU, as community filled and wonderful as it is, focuses on art that should be powerful and illuminating, rather than simple or pleasant.  I think it has the potential to be good art, and also be funny.




 Also, my mom is "with it".

1 comment:

Angie said...

I'm so impressed you learned needlepoint! And I 100% agree with you about the BYU art program. I hope teaching is going really well for you--your students are blessed to have you!!